Thursday, January 20, 2011

giving my best


First, let me just say how much I love "best time". To some people it may seem silly, elementary schoolish but Kimber and I call each other BEST. Girls do this. Some so much that it loses its meaning but for me there are few BEST people in your life. Those people are there, period. No matter how long its been since you've seen them last or what season it is in their life or yours they give you their best. They listen, cry, laugh, hurt when you hurt and most importantly they need you back. THESE relationships take time and work. anyway, the point of this post is to share about my night a few days ago. Kimber and I decided to have a movie/dinner date. We both wanted to see Blue Valentine. Not exactly what I had signed up to see. Usually, movies are ruined by the trailers but this one was not at all what I had expected it to be. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate all kinds of films. I have always loved them. One of my most favorite trips was to the Sundance Film Festival. I was a volunteer out there and let me tell you I lived it up, every minute of it. I saw premiere after premiere and sat in on countless Q&A sessions. Films can be so incredible. They make you feel and can make you think. This topic is definitely worthy of its own post, so let me stay on topic here. Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams were brilliant but I left depressed. This couple is broken,miserable, married. Sounds about right, right? Well, not for someone who believes in marriage the way I do. I was sad when I left the movie. Sad for this portrayal of what its like to be done. Giving up on people is the easy way out. What ever happened to having to work hard for someone and to work on yourself. Life and relationships aren't always slow and easy but if you commit then it truly is "for better or for worse". It made it even more clear to me how necessary it is to seek counseling to share weaknesses and struggles before one foot is already out the door. It also was made clear to me that you cannot rely on people for happiness. If this person you need/can't live without and depend on for meaning ever becomes their worst selves, well, you will never have true happiness. I googled happiness and found these quotes from people who seemed to know whats up...

Happiness is not a reward – it is a consequence.
Robert Ingersoll

Happiness is different from pleasure. Happiness has something to do with struggling and enduring and accomplishing.
George Sheehan

Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Margaret Lee Runbeck

Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace and gratitude.
Denis Waitley

Interestingly, they all seem to require action. change. making the tough decisions. Something you have to work on.. forever maybe. I hope to always give my best in my marriage, in my friendships and in life. well i guess that was my review of the movie for what its worth.

2 comments:

  1. So good! And finally glad you blogged again...welcome back! I love our BEST time, because it truly is the best...for better or worse :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish this was something I could get my brother and his wife to understand...all so very true.

    ReplyDelete